Parents' Time Out
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents' Time Out

Adult conversations and honest parents are not figments of your imagination.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inWe cannot stop living! Register_0
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Kapi
We cannot stop living! I_vote_lcapWe cannot stop living! I_voting_barWe cannot stop living! I_vote_rcap 
ronin
We cannot stop living! I_vote_lcapWe cannot stop living! I_voting_barWe cannot stop living! I_vote_rcap 
Mon
Hangers
asi9
Kissie
Noodle
mtlchick28
Faemum
mrsbraden
Join our Facebook group!
Parents' Time Out

Promote Your Page Too
Latest topics
» Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 am by Mon

» Saving my muffin recipes
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 am by Kapi

» Forrest's Favorite Recipes from the other site
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am by asi9

» Best Covers
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm by Ghost Dog

» Bridesmaids = Awesome
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm by Ghost Dog

» How to keep a little girl entertained for hours on end
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:30 am by ronin

» awesome multigrain waffles
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 12:12 pm by Kapi

» cool dancers
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:01 am by Kapi

» Kids say the Darnedest Things
We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:47 pm by Hangers

Poll
We're now on Facebook....
....OMG awesome!!
We cannot stop living! I_vote_lcap40%We cannot stop living! I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
....OMG what were you thinking?!
We cannot stop living! I_vote_lcap20%We cannot stop living! I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG a chicken!!
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG you are such a tool!!
We cannot stop living! I_vote_lcap0%We cannot stop living! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
....OMG Mear got 30% off at Kohls!!
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5
Statistics
We have 20 registered users
The newest registered user is 3bubs4me

Our users have posted a total of 3191 messages in 251 subjects

We cannot stop living!

Go down 
+4
Hangers
Kapi
ronin
Kissie
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kissie
Controversy Mod
Controversy Mod
Kissie

We cannot stop living! Empty
PostSubject: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:54 am

Every time I watch the news or read an article in a magazine, etc. there are a shit ton of warning about this and that and how a child passed away 'because' of .

A middle school boy passed away after a game of soccer, from a head injury. We are constantly being bombarded with news like this and it does make me think I just need to put Ryan in a bubble. Embarassed

But that's not life! It just seems like we can't do ANYTHING anymore because our kid might get hurt or might even die. Not that I would EVER want to think about it happening to me but we can't stop living, right?
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 am

Amen Kissie. Hubby is freaking out about this crap all the time. He keeps looking for ways for us to keep the kids at home...to the extent that he REALLY wants to home school them. angry

I keep pointing out that we both left the house our entire childhoods and we lived. you\'re crazy
Back to top Go down
https://parentstimeout.forumotion.com
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy
Kapi

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 am

this irritates me to no end and is a big reason why I will not watch/read local news. especially other people's local news. I will not live in a bubble, I will give my kids freedom to play, even risky and/or unsupervised games and I will not feel bad about it. Human beings would be a pretty boring species if we had never taken any risks at all, and I don't want them to grow into stagnant, boring people and that is all I believe a bubble can produce.
Back to top Go down
Kissie
Controversy Mod
Controversy Mod
Kissie

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 am

Whew, I'm glad I'm not alone! Now don't get me wrong, I have my issues with some things, like kids not being in car seats. Crying or Very sad But we seem to really be going overboard with so many things. Like the crib recall recently. Accidents happen. Nothing is 100% safe
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod
Hangers

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am

I'm with ya. I think that there is risk in everything ya know? L and I were talking about this the other night- there was a local charity for a 3 year old with leukemia...and I said

"ya know...THAT is a legitimate fear of mine. I mean, we take a risk everytime we bother to open our eyes in the morning, get in a car, hell go to the grocery store and see a government representative. EVERYDAY YOU WAKE UP- you risk dying...But that's no reason to hide. It isn't like it's preventible. Look at that 3 year old ya know? He wishes to hell he was feeling well enough to go fall of his bicycle and bump his head... but he can't because he's dying in Texas Children's Hospital."

I fear cancer- but I'm learning everyday to give my kids a bit of freedom to make mistakes, hell even get hurt and scrape their knees. I literally kept the girls indoors the entire winter and smited any bug within my arms reach after that hospital stay with G...and got called on it by my husband. I can't protect them from everything...even bug bites because I fear staph.
Back to top Go down
Mon
Parenthood Mod
Parenthood Mod
Mon

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:25 am

Guess I didn't get the memo to keep my kids in a bubble and to protect them from EVERYTHING including THEMSELVES.

Everything is going to eventually kill us. Might as well not worry about it.

Bella ate a Melatonin on Sunday night before church, so of course she is passed out cold when I take her into nursery. They are all spazzing about it wanting to know if I called the nurses hotline. Uh, that would be a no. I know she only ate 1 because i knew how many were in the container. It isn't going to harm her. I didn't tell them that on occasion I give her 2 at a time, and guess what...She is still living driving me insane.

I'm sure people wonder about my laid back attitude towards some of the things my kids do. There are certain things that are a big no such as the car seat thing. That drives me nuts when I see a kid out of a car seat, but my kids play outside and ride their bikes without supervision.
Back to top Go down
Noodle
Bitching & Moaning Mod
Bitching & Moaning Mod
Noodle

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Getting hurt is part of childhood. Broken bones, black eyes....it's part of life. And it helps make them tougher.

But I'm still totally petrified to let them ride their bikes around the block or walk home by themselves. Mostly because we live on a main road. But I'm still uber paranoid about my kids getting kidnapped too. Biggest. Fear. Ever.
Back to top Go down
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy
Kapi

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm more scared of my kids pissing off the neighbours haha
Back to top Go down
Mon
Parenthood Mod
Parenthood Mod
Mon

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Noodle wrote:
Getting hurt is part of childhood. Broken bones, black eyes....it's part of life. And it helps make them tougher.

But I'm still totally petrified to let them ride their bikes around the block or walk home by themselves. Mostly because we live on a main road. But I'm still uber paranoid about my kids getting kidnapped too. Biggest. Fear. Ever.

Just in the last few weeks I've started letting the boys ride to the park that is 1/2 mile away. They ride in our neighborhood, but we don't have a lot of traffic.
Back to top Go down
mtlchick28
Entertainment Mod
Entertainment Mod
mtlchick28

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm

You know how many times I fell on my head as a kid? Somwhow I managed to live...lol! I am paranoid about a lotta shit but it's like you all said, you can't stop living because of it. It's a tragedy about that boy. It really is. How common is it though I wonder?
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

You know how many times I got knocked out at the park and had to be carried home as a kid? Laughing

Oh the good ole days of t-ball and walking on top of the monkey bars. geek
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod
Hangers

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm

You know how many times I fell down the stairs in my own house, only to have my family holler "HEY C! You okay?" from the other room when they heard the thump? dunce true story. Laughing I don't think not once they came and checked on me (I'm a clutz)

Hell come to think of it, the time my brother pushed me off the banister we were umm...NOT sliding down study and I broke my foot it was almost 2 days before my parents even took me to a doctor... I had a hematoma the size of fuckin softball on the side of my foot and my Dad was all "eh, put some ice on it..." superman
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Walk it off, weenie! Laughing
Back to top Go down
mtlchick28
Entertainment Mod
Entertainment Mod
mtlchick28

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Ya, forealz, just wrap that shit up and walk it off yo!
Back to top Go down
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy
Kapi

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Ouch, that made my foot hurt just reading that lol.
Back to top Go down
mtlchick28
Entertainment Mod
Entertainment Mod
mtlchick28

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Weenie! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod
Hangers

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 pm

My poor mama...lol she was so embarrassed...we walked into the xray place (where the doctor sent us about 2 seconds after he saw me hobble in...that's right. I walked.) and everyone was all "OH MY GOSH DOES SHE NEED A WHEEL CHAIR?!?" and my mama was like "Well, it's only a few more feet, she's been walking around on it since yesterday so I think she'll be okay..."

She didn't even realize how bad it sounded. She cried when the xray tech told her I'd cracked my 5th metatarsel completely in half. Laughing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mtlchick28
Entertainment Mod
Entertainment Mod
mtlchick28

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Awww, that is the worst mommy guilt right there! Poor Hangers mama!
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod
Hangers

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Yea she felt pretty bad. lol I was 13 so I was hangin tough. I didn't even cry when it happened honestly. (I'm a clutz, I stay in physical pain so unless something SERIOUSLY hurts I don't cry.) I just told my brother to quit fuckin laughin at me and call mama (we were home alone at the time) because I think I'd hurt my foot really bad.

Of course the lil shit lied and told mama I "FELL" off the banister (He pushed me and he KNOWS it...) so the family joke is that "C is so clumsy she broke her foot sitting down..." Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
mtlchick28
Entertainment Mod
Entertainment Mod
mtlchick28

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Faemum
Proud Member
Proud Member
Faemum

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 am

we had a kid turn up at work the other day . 15 yr old , BIG 15 yr old . Used to attend our daycare , eldest of five kids and a couple of his siblings still come to our daycare . Mum and Dad had not turned up to pick him up from his sport program and he knew they had to come get the girls , so he walked the 10 minute walk at 5.30pm (in summer , so very bright) to check on sisters and see if we could call parents .
did the right thing , cos' parents had an emergency and managed to contact us , so we let them know all the kids were ok . 15 yr old then said he would go to library across car park and wait there , sounded cool to me .
Drop kick , just turned 17 , staff kid,said , "why did the sport program let a kid walk on his own? why did you let him go to library on his own?" .
Umm, hey mr just turned 17 , we let you walk to and from work without a grown up . My duty of care to any kid (including those attending our program) is to do what a reasonable parent would do , and i would let my 10 yr go to the library on her own . The 15 yr old did the right thing by going to a place where there were adults he knew and trusted who had contact details for his parents . he has learned the skill of being able to make a decision about the right thing to do because he has been trusted to learn life skills .
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 am

Ugh. A 17-year old is well beyond old enough to go to the damn library by himself. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Faemum
Proud Member
Proud Member
Faemum

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 am

nah , it was the 17 yr old telling me off for not looking after the 15 yr old better . i have known the 15 yr old since he was 10 though and would bet on him winning a fight between the two .
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 am

Oh, dunce still...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We cannot stop living!   We cannot stop living! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We cannot stop living!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parents' Time Out :: Parenthood :: Kids-
Jump to: