Parents' Time Out

Adult conversations and honest parents are not figments of your imagination.

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Kapi

ronin

Mon

Hangers

asi9

Kissie

Noodle

mtlchick28

Faemum

mrsbraden

Join our Facebook group!
Parents' Time Out

Promote Your Page Too
Latest topics
» Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 am by Mon

» Saving my muffin recipes
Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 am by Kapi

» Forrest's Favorite Recipes from the other site
Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am by asi9

» Best Covers
Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm by Ghost Dog

» Bridesmaids = Awesome
Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm by Ghost Dog

» How to keep a little girl entertained for hours on end
Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 am by ronin

» awesome multigrain waffles
Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 pm by Kapi

» cool dancers
Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 am by Kapi

» Kids say the Darnedest Things
Mon May 16, 2011 3:47 pm by Hangers

Poll
We're now on Facebook....
....OMG awesome!!
40%
 40% [ 2 ]
....OMG what were you thinking?!
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG a chicken!!
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG you are such a tool!!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
....OMG Mear got 30% off at Kohls!!
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5
Statistics
We have 20 registered users
The newest registered user is 3bubs4me

Our users have posted a total of 3191 messages in 251 subjects

Share | 

Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ronin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Back to top Go down
http://parentstimeout.forumotion.com
Kissie
Controversy Mod
Controversy Mod

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 am

I just saw that this morning, the little girl wasn't even being teased by classmates. I think the MOM didn't like her ears and passed that off on her daughter. They DO feed off our energy.

I personally didn't see anything wrong with her ears, they weren't deformed IMO and they worked.
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:32 am

I'm trying really hard to decide how to feel about this. I just don't know.

I know that B has bad teeth. Really bad. And we are probably gonna be dropping a shit ton of money simply to straighten them. They are not rotted, they are not causing him pain- it is purely cosmetic. He's not eligible yet due to age and the fact that he's still got quite a few baby teeth.

But he's begging- he's being teased, ruthlessly quite often. He wants them fixed. We plan on doing it for him.

And yes, it will require surgery. He's going to have to have several teeth pulled, replaced, etc. But it's what he wants.

I dunno. Surgery and Orhtodontics? It was really only a stones throw wasn't it? I begged my parents for contacts simply because I wanted them and was tired of the jokes about my glasses...and in college I begged for lasik. (Though we couldn't afford it and ins. didn't cover it at the time so it didn't happen.)

I think with things like say- ears, or actual deformities? Okay. I didn't personally see anything wrong with the babies ears but then I don't live in her body, I will never see it the way she does or her mother does.

I know as parents we often, whether we know it or not, put pressure on our kids to look a certain way. My sister and I have both often made jokes about introducing L and A to eyebrow waxing at a young age since they were- BORN, because they got their daddy's bushy eyebrows.

(However I'm going to wait until she's an appropriate age- say MIDDLE SCHOOL, and asks for it. And she will. MS girls are mean.)

It's hard to know what's the right thing to do anymore.
Back to top Go down
asi9
Dancing Cucumber
Dancing Cucumber

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

I'm probably gonna sound judgmental but I think the mother/parent was wrong to opt for surgery...it was a wrong way to deal with a "bullying" issue...kids can tease her for having two eyes...is she then going to get surgery to become a cyclops?
Back to top Go down
ronin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:43 pm

It took me a while to figure out how I felt about this too, Hangers.

My thoughts are:

The girl's one ear was obviously bent over a bit, but you couldn't even see it in half the shots in the video because she kept it covered up with her hair. Mom was the only one claiming that any bullying was going on. The little girl seemed fine. I think the mom overreacted a lot.

Also, I think that the mom missed out on a good opportunity to teach her daughter how to keep her self-esteem intact in spite of other people's ignorance. How is she going to fix it the next time when her daughter's being teased because she "has two eyes," as 9er suggested. Really, he's right. Kids will make fun of anyone for anything. Learning how to harden up and get the fuck over it is an important part of childhood.

I see a big difference between plastic surgery and orthodontics. If your teeth are crooked, there are ramifications beyond "looking wonky." Straight teeth can be cleaned better, while improperly aligned jaws can lead to developing TMJ.

Not brought to you by the American Association for Orthodontics.....

Back to top Go down
Mon
Parenthood Mod
Parenthood Mod

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

Having 2 little girls, I feel that I can honestly say that if they want plastic surgery, they can have it. They don't like their nose, then we will just get them a new one.

Because I need to make sure my kids are aware that their self worth is only based on their looks.

Razz

Parenthood Mod
Parenthood Mod

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 pm

On a serious note, my niece (She is 16.) has an ear that does the exact same thing. Her doctor did tell her that the ear could cause her to have hearing issues, but she never did. She is self conscience of the ear, but I don't think it has ever been to the point that she wanted to have it fixed. She tells you that it is part of who she is, and that if people don't like it then that is tough.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 pm

That's an excellent example, Mon.

I don't know how this is going to come out, but I can explain if need be.....

Not only does keeping their "real" self intact help the kid adjust and grow, but it also helps the people around them be more accepting of differences. If people are always forcing normal standards, then there's nothing to test them against when it really matters.
Back to top Go down
asi9
Dancing Cucumber
Dancing Cucumber

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 am

Dont get me wrong...if Dumbo's mother opted to get plastic surgery for him, then the kids wouldn't have picked on him and for her to get thrown in "jail" then again, Dumbo wouldn't be able to fly and become famous...then, then again, being a child star turned him into a psychotic, womanizer, in/out of rehab, so surgery is definitely the solution!

straight jacket
Back to top Go down
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

What about any concerns about getting plastic surgery so young? They really don't know how she'd grow into her ears without the surgery do they? I probably would make her wait till she was out of puberty for any surgeries that were purely cosmetic. (Orthodontic work A) is not surgery B) is not purely cosmetic and C) has proven benefits for starting early and so is different in my mind) simply because its harder to be accurate the smaller the body part you're working on is. Same thing with tattoos or any other body modification. Until you're body is done growing you simply don't know how whatever you're doing will look as it stretches out as you grow.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Surgery that young is too risky for something cosmetic. No My heart goes out to the little girl, but surgery isn't going to fix her problems*, just her ears.

*And by "her problems," I mean her mother's drama. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:45 am

Yeah, I didn't answer earlier cause I needed time to think. I would also put a kid through othodontics as early as it was needed. I will let any of my 3 kids get their ears pierced as soon as they think they're old enough, (having had the procedure explained to them, had the pain levels compared to vaccine shots, and having proved their ability to keep their hands away from their face and not fiddle with it. Sarah says she'll be old enough when she's 7 haha) but I didn't circumsize my boys mostly based on the cosmetic surgery argument and I would never let them get a tattoo while their bodies are still growing and I still haven't had decided where I fall on other types of piercings, I'd probably not kick up a fuss if my teenagers wanted nose studs or those gawdawful chin stud things. So I'm kinda middle of the road as to what I would allow and what I would not.

I think that if her ears were affecting her quality of life in any physical way, I would take her in to get it done, but my kids are getting raised with a very strong suck it up buttercup parenting style haha. I can't see trying to teach them that the way to avoid lifes difficulties is surgery. There have to be better strategies for dealing with a bully than that.

Controversy Mod

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:38 am

asi9 wrote:
I'm probably gonna sound judgmental but I think the mother/parent was wrong to opt for surgery...it was a wrong way to deal with a "bullying" issue...kids can tease her for having two eyes...is she then going to get surgery to become a cyclops?

I'm with you. This particular case was unnecessary, IMHO. Call me judgmental, it won't be the first or last time. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?   

Back to top Go down

Plastic Surgery To Avoid Being Bullied?
Page 1 of 1