Parents' Time Out
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents' Time Out

Adult conversations and honest parents are not figments of your imagination.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inCouple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids Register_0
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Kapi
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcapCouple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_voting_barCouple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap 
ronin
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcapCouple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_voting_barCouple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap 
Mon
Hangers
asi9
Kissie
Noodle
mtlchick28
Faemum
mrsbraden
Join our Facebook group!
Parents' Time Out

Promote Your Page Too
Latest topics
» Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 am by Mon

» Saving my muffin recipes
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 am by Kapi

» Forrest's Favorite Recipes from the other site
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am by asi9

» Best Covers
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm by Ghost Dog

» Bridesmaids = Awesome
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm by Ghost Dog

» How to keep a little girl entertained for hours on end
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:30 am by ronin

» awesome multigrain waffles
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 12:12 pm by Kapi

» cool dancers
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:01 am by Kapi

» Kids say the Darnedest Things
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:47 pm by Hangers

Poll
We're now on Facebook....
....OMG awesome!!
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcap40%Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
....OMG what were you thinking?!
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcap20%Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG a chicken!!
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcap20%Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
....OMG you are such a tool!!
Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_lcap0%Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
....OMG Mear got 30% off at Kohls!!
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5
Statistics
We have 20 registered users
The newest registered user is 3bubs4me

Our users have posted a total of 3191 messages in 251 subjects

Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ronin
Admin
Admin
ronin

Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids Empty
PostSubject: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 pm

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/apr/13/police-arrest-vancouver-parents-for-criminal-mistr/

A Vancouver couple have been arrested for allegedly holding their two young autistic boys captive in a darkened, caged room.

Responding to a tip from Child Protective Services, police officers raided the couple’s apartment Tuesday and found the boys, ages 5 and 7, confined in a bedroom with a cage-like door. The boys could not speak, were wearing diapers and were not enrolled in school or receiving medical attention, according to police reports. They had no toys in their bedroom, which also had a cage over the window.

The parents, John C. Eckhart, 30, and Alayna M. Higdon, 26, were taken into custody on suspicion of second-degree criminal mistreatment and unlawful imprisonment, both class C felonies. On Wednesday morning, Clark County Superior Court Judge Robert Lewis set bail at $25,000 each. As of Wednesday afternoon, the two were in the Clark County Jail.

Meanwhile, the boys and the couple’s two other boys, ages 9 years and 11 months, were placed in protective custody, Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp said. The 9-year-old and 11-month-old were not being held in caged rooms.

The case surfaced after a social worker responded to a complaint about children being locked in cages. After knocking at the door, the social worker reported hearing a strange wailing coming from the apartment at 4317 N.E. 66th Ave.

“It kind of sounded like a bird, but I wondered if it was a kid,” the caseworker told officers, according to police reports.

Responding officers arrived later, and Higdon answered the door with a baby in her arms. The officer reported looking down a hallway and seeing a child’s arm hanging through a caged door. There was garbage and food wrappers on the floor, and the apartment was dirty and grimy, according to police reports. The cupboards in the kitchen contained little food; a pizza and Mountain Dew were in the refrigerator.

The couple’s 9-year-old son told officers that his younger brothers were fed but never allowed out of the room. The 9-year-old grew quiet when officers asked if the parents ever physically assaulted the children, according to reports. There was no reports of physical abuse.

The door of the room had been removed and replaced with a metal slatted cage that encompassed the entire doorway, Kapp said. The room was dark, with a single mattress inside.

When an officer went to the bedroom, where the boys were confined, “they were making moaning noises and tapped their fingers together through the holes between the metal bars,” according to police reports.

The officer reported smelling the scent of urine coming from the boys.

Asked why her children were locked in the room, Higdon said they are hyperactive and she doesn’t want them running wild. Pressed about why they weren’t in school, she told the officer that she can’t find a special school for their autism and tries to home-school them — even though the 9-year-old told investigators that his mother doesn’t teach them, according to police reports.

She also explained that the boys are still in diapers because they don’t understand how to go to the bathroom. She said she was not responsible for their well-being because they were Eckhart’s biological children, not hers.

After contacting Eckhart, whom police reports describe as Higdon’s fiancé, he became antagonistic toward the officers, yelling that they have no right to take his children.

“What am I supposed to do?” he asked police. “Let them run around the house? What kind of (expletive) parenting is that? They are both autistic.”

Higdon told officers that her fiancé uses marijuana.

When officers let the boys out of the room, they appeared excited, and one of them pointed toward the window, according to police reports.

A witness (whose name was redacted from the report) interviewed by police reported that the children had been held in the caged room for at least six months.

Wednesday afternoon, at the couple’s apartment complex off Andresen Road, Springfield Meadows, neighbors said they occasionally heard children screaming but never saw the kids come outside.

One upstairs neighbor said the family were “really bad neighbors” and that the children’s screaming was always followed by the mother’s yelling.

Eckhart is listed in court papers as unemployed; a search for his Facebook page displays a picture of him making an obscene gesture.

Higdon is listed as a student at Clark College in elementary education and was part of a work-study program that sporadically placed her as a volunteer in the library at Harney Elementary School, said Vancouver Public Schools spokeswoman Kris Sork.

According to court documents, the couple lives off food stamps and $1,160 in welfare a month.

The couple’s family is blended, with the autistic boys belonging to Eckhart and the 9-year-old belonging to Higdon, according to police reports. They are the parents of the 11-month-old.

At their first appearance Wednesday, the judge appointed attorney Robert Vukanovich to represent Eckhart and attorney Clark Fridley to represent Higdon.

The pair are expected to be arraigned on charges April 27.
Back to top Go down
https://parentstimeout.forumotion.com
Mon
Parenthood Mod
Parenthood Mod
Mon

PostSubject: Re: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 4:30 am

Wow, that is horrifying. People like that don't need to procreate.
Back to top Go down
Kissie
Controversy Mod
Controversy Mod
Kissie

PostSubject: Re: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 am

I REALLY would love to cunt punch someone for all of that. angry
Back to top Go down
Hangers
Chit Chat Mod
Chit Chat Mod
Hangers

PostSubject: Re: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:36 am

I seriously want to scream. Who does that to a child?
Back to top Go down
Kapi
BudWEISer Buddy
BudWEISer Buddy
Kapi

PostSubject: Re: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 am

I want to cry. That's the kind of story those evil stepmom fairy tales are based on. I wonder how old they were when she came into their life, and how bad their bio mom must be to not have custody over those winners.

I think today I'm gonna bake my kids some cookies, give them extra hugs, and remember that for all my faults, I'm really not that bad a mom after all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids   Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple Jailed For Caging 2 Autistic Kids
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parents' Time Out :: Controversy Corner :: Parent Of The Year Nominees-
Jump to: